Happy Independence Day!
On this 4th of July weekend, we once again reflect upon and give thanks for the freedoms we enjoy in this country. While we are excited to build and sell saunas throughout the world, everyone at Almost Heaven Saunas recognizes that our ability to conduct commerce and live free in this country came at a price that others before us were willing to pay. We pass on the following for your information for you to reflect upon as you enjoy your holiday:
THE PRICE THEY PAID – Author Unknown
Have you ever wondered what happend to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?
- Five signers were captured by the British as traitors and tortured before they died.
- Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.
- Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army.
- One had two sons captured by the British.
- Nine of the 56 fought and died from their wounds or from hardships faced during the Revolutionary War.
What kind of men were they?
- Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists.
- Eleven were merchants.
- Nine were farmers and large plantation owners.
- Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts and died in rags.
- Thomas McKean was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in Congress without pay and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him and poverty was his reward.
- Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Ellery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnet, Heyward, Rutledge and Middleton.
- At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr. noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed and Nelson died bankrupt.
- Francis Lewis had his home and propertied destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife and she died within a few months.
- John Hart was driven from his wife’s bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.
Give thanks for freedom and give thanks for those who did and DO sacrifice to protect our freedom. May God Bless America!