How to Sauna Safely
There are lots of things that can be good for you, body and mind, but if used in excess or without knowledge can have detrimental effects. Take for example dark chocolate, vitamins, running, and coffee. And saunas. Here are some common (and common sense) tips to keep in mind when using your sauna.
- Drink your water. Not coffee. Not cola. Not beer. Water. Doubtless you’re aware that when you sauna, you sweat. Sweating is a good way to remove toxins and impurities from the body, but the fluid you lose will have to be replaced through hydration, so drink up.
- In fact, it’s generally best to avoid alcohol altogether while using the sauna.
- Saunas get hot. You have our word for it. Therefore, don’t wear any jewelry or accessories while you’re in one because the materials touching your skin could heat up and burn you.
- A wet sauna session can help soften and tone skin, but you’ve got to leave the sauna eventually. Consider slathering on your favorite moisturizer before returning to the dryer outside environment.
- Don’t overuse your sauna. The recommended sauna session duration for beginners falls somewhere between 10-20 minutes. As with nearly all good things in life, moderation is key.
- Know your body. If you’ve never used a sauna before, you might want to start out with shorter sauna sessions a couple times a week to find out how much your body can safely tolerate. If you start feeling sickly while you’re in the sauna – nauseous, dizzy, etc. – get out and take a rest.
- Understand that using a sauna is a process. A gradual process. When you’re done, don’t just wipe off the sweat and get back to work. Take a shower. Let your body temperature cool down.
- If you have any doubts at all about using a sauna, it’s not a bad idea to consult your physician – knowing that individuals, being individuals, are unique with an infinite array of conditions and predispositions.
Here at Almost Heaven Saunas, we are committed to making the experience of owning and using one of our indoor or outdoor saunas as rewarding, enjoyable, and safe as possible. Interested in learning more? Give us a call at 888-355-3050 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.