7 Facts You May or May Not Know About Barrels
How would the world be different without barrels? Here are 7 quick facts that help illustrate the role that such a simple product has played for over 2 millennia.
- Barrels date back to before 500 BC.
- They are generally tapered at both ends which allow them to be guided while they are being rolled.
- Roman authors described Northern European Celts using barrels as weapons (filled with pitch, set on fire, and then directed at the enemy) and as infrastructure (used to build pontoon bridges).
- Barrels were considered the best method for shipping and storage for over 2,000 years.
- In 1901, Annie Edson Taylor was the first person to go over the Niagara Falls in a barrel. She used a pickle barrel that was 5’ high and 3’ in diameter.
- The art of making barrels is called cooperage.
- The barrel inspired one of the simplest yet most profoundly functional sauna designs available.
Let’s focus in on that last one briefly. What is it that makes a barrel shape such a functional sauna design? There are a number of different reasons, actually. For example, a barrel sauna offers the same amount of usable space as a rectangular sauna, but by removing the corners, the room has less overall area. This little fact means that the sauna may heat faster, which saves time and energy.
It’s also plausible that the barrel shape distributes the heat inside the sauna more evenly. As heat rises, instead of getting trapped near the ceiling, it gets circulated back down along the rounded walls.
Some additional advantages to a barrel sauna may include:
- An especially sturdy and sound structure that can hold a significant snow load.
- A ball-and-socket-profile that allows the wood to expand and contract as the room heats and cools.
- And an attractive form that looks good in any backyard setting.
Some may also find it pleasant to sit with their back cradled in the curve of the sauna wall, making a barrel-shaped sauna an arrangement of all-around ease: easy on your wallet, easy on your schedule, easy on your landscaping, and easy on your sense of contentment and relaxation.
Almost Heaven Saunas has been making barrel saunas for quite some time now, earning a reputation for high standards and satisfied customers. If you’d like to learn more about how you may order your very own Almost Heaven Barrel Sauna, click here or give us a call at 888.355.3050.